Public Counsel Law Center – Los Angeles, CA
Veterans – Free Legal Services
Contact: (213) 385-2977
Service Area: CA
Serving: Veterans and Families
Description: Public Counsel's Center for Veterans' Advancement (CVA), a national leader in Veteran's advocacy, provides direct representation, or representation through pro bono (no charge) partners, to Veterans and their families. CVA provides legal representation at both the local and national levels and coordinates its work with efforts underway to establish special "Veterans' Courts" in Northern and Southern California designed to meet the unique needs of returning Veterans. CVA also manages legal clinics, including one of the largest pro bono advocacy programs in the United States.
CVA is driven by its core principle to "uphold our nation's promise to Veterans and their families."
1. Stabilizing the living situation of veterans and their families.
2. Securing government benefits, including, but not limited to, VA, SSI, General Relief, & medical benefits.
3. Providing Veterans with needed legal representation to overcome the burdens Veterans may face in procuring employment, housing, medical care, and/or supportive services. Effecting systemic change within local, state, and governmental agencies to overcome or escape homelessness, poverty, or loss of quality of life among Veterans.
4. Providing local and national training in VA adjudication and representation; and
5. Providing effective legal representation before select state & federal courts, the Department of Veterans Affairs, and the United States Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims.